Friday, January 27, 2012

Weekly Recap


Recap of the week.

On Monday, I went to a local bar with some of my new friends.  It was a lot of fun dancing salsa and meringue with the locals.  The bar was packed because the band that was playing is a famous band in Costa Rica.  The band played a mix of American and Spanish songs.  Wednesday night, I went go-karting for the first time with the Tico Mentors.  Tico Mentors are local students at Veritas that act as ambassadors for the international students.  They setup activities for the international students such as visiting museums, going to the movies, and dances.  I had a great time driving the go-karts and managed to come in second in my heat!  Afterwards, we went across the street to a restaurant for drinks and food.  We were at the restaurant for two hours which is the average time a Tico spends at a restaurant for dinner.  I had a great time talking with the Tico Mentors.  The Tico Mentors speak English, but we conversed mostly in Spanish.  On Thursday night, I attended a dance class to learn the traditional dances such as salsa, meringue, and a few others whose names I don't know.  I attend the dance class most Tuesday and Thursday nights.  It is a lot of fun and a great work out!  It seems like everyone here is a great dancer! 

Casado
I was asked in a comment how much a typical meal costs in Costa Rica.  A typical lunch here is Casado which means ‘married’.  The dish is a “marriage” of rice, beans, salad, fried bananas, tortillas, and whatever type of meat you desire. The average cost is about $4-$6.  A slice of pizza costs about $2.  I would like to add that the slice of pizza is very large, about twice the size of a medium slice of pizza.  A cup of coffee with milk (latte) costs about $1 though it is a little smaller than a tall cup of coffee from Starbucks.  Some things in Costa Rica are cheaper, and some things are more expensive.  Sunscreen costs about  $14 because the locals do not need sunscreen.   A Big Mac costs $6-$7.  Generally, most foods cost about the same or are slightly cheaper.  If you a shoe or clothes enthusiast, it may interest you to know that Toms cost about $15 in the mall.

If you have a question about something I’ve posted or about Costa Rica, please feel free to leave a comment, and I will try to respond as quickly as possible.

Pura Vida!

1 comment:

  1. Kara,
    I am really glad you are "hanging" out with the locals.. The mentor program will be so helpful!!!! (make you feel like you are really learning about the culture)... Do they eat many sweets there? (what are they) Are you in a class with locals (mixed class or all Exchange students) Lynda B.

    ReplyDelete